Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Krishna Janmashtami Shubakankshalu



Krishna Janmashtami is a festival of Lord Krishna's birthday. Hence I woke up early to celebrate. It is said that along with rangoli, you should draw little feet of krishna coming into the house as to welcome him into your home. I have never been a great rangoli drawer but thanks to the internet I found some good sites (in particular this one) that will help even the artistically challenged (such as myself). So I found this pattern that was small enough that I could do before work (it is Wednesday after all) and still nice enough to entice little ol Krishna. I know that most of you are thinking my god it will make Krishna run in the opposite direction but as I always say 'PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT' so I am going to continue doing rangoli and hopefully Krishna will turn around.



I thought what better way to start my food blogging than doing a recipe of Prasadam. Prasadam is a generic name for all food that is offered to god. However in my home this prasadam is the most popular and is a must when we do any sort of poojas (religious rituals). My mum is famous for hers and mine didn't turn out quite as nice but still not too bad.

Prasadam Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup course semolina (suji)
1 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
chopped cashews (optional)
sultanas or raisins (optional)
ghee

Method
  1. In a saucepan or wok, add some ghee and fry cashews (if using) on low heat. Once cashews start to change colour add sultanas (also if using). Fry both of them for a few seconds until cashews are golden brown and sultanas have puffed up.
  2. Add the semolina and add some more ghee if you think it is required. Fry until the semolina smells nice (sort of a ghee smell).
  3. Add sugar and boiling water and reduce heat to the lowest setting. Stir until the mix thickens to a dough consistency. This should not take more than 4 minutes.

Once cooled slightly this can be rolled into balls or served in a cup.



Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger sailu said...

Hi Praveena,

Lil Krishna's feet look so cute..:):) You made a wonderful entry into the food blogging world on Krishnastami.

Nice post and hope you have lots of fun in the blogging world.

Sailaja

August 17, 2006 6:33 pm  
Blogger Tanuja said...

Hi Praveena,

What a traditional entry to food blogging world,

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF FOOD:)

August 17, 2006 10:38 pm  
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi,
Nice Entry on Krishnajayanthi. Welcome to blogging world.
Thanks for sharing your prasadam.

August 17, 2006 11:37 pm  
Blogger Luv2cook said...

Praveena:

I knew a Praveena in my Jr. College days in India but I don't think it is you :-p or may be you are....

The Krishna Paadams look adorable and welcome to the blogging world. Thanks for stopping by mine...

August 18, 2006 12:50 am  
Blogger bottled-imp said...

came here through sailu's pages. like others your krishna paadalu are quite cute. and welcome to the world of blogs.

August 19, 2006 12:14 am  
Blogger Praveena said...

Sailu,
Thanks. It was by accident that Krishna Jayanthi was the day I started blogging.

Tanuja,
Thanks for the welcome.

Menu Today,
No problem. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Luv2Cook,
No I don't think I am the Praveena you knew.
And thanks. It was my first attempt at drawing little feet.

Bottled-imp,
Thanks for the welcome.

August 20, 2006 5:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home